Sunday, February 05, 2006

Superbowl Stoned


I'm watching this pathetic excuse for a concert at Superbowl halftime. The sound, of course, is awful! Mick Jagger and his ambulatory Stones and the fans are certainly having fun, it seems, but it's still painful to listen to. Not that I'm sure you could have ever claimed he did to begin with, but Mick's not singing, he's sorta shouting out lyrics. If the band had been auditioning for a spot in any average battle of the bands, I think any judge would have told them "come back when you learn how to play". It's amazing what this band got away with by virtue of the recording studio.

I never was a big fan of the Stones from day one. Yes, they produced some halfway decent classics, again, thanks to technology, but what pisses me off are bands that get lucky with a song or two on the charts, then slack off for decades on ill-earned fame, while many a technically and artistically superior band has never been able to enjoy such icon status. But then, to be fair, I never got the Dead, either, so that pretty much disqualifies me as a music critic, I suppose.

So far I haven't seen a commercial that I think will find legendary status in the annals of commercial history. The razor commercial was the epitome of one-upmanship stupidity I have ever seen. I half expected to hear "and the 12th blade bites into the carotid artery.....". If you honestly think your face has gotten any smoother after the third blade, they really have you hoodwinked.

The second half is starting now and I'm not going to comment much about the game except I think any team that can't ever seem to beat the Jaguars shouldn't even be in the Superbowl. Sorry reason to root for the Seahawks I know, but I'm so fed up with football I really don't care that much who wins. I wouldn't mind getting that kind of money for losing.


I'll suffer thru the rest of the game, hoping I see a commercial that can equal the "1984" spot that Apple aired during that Superbowl. THAT, my friends, was commercial genius!

4 comments:

And the Past Recedes... said...

Oh my "Bob" as you say. The half time show was horrendous. That one guitar guy looked like he was going to die of boredom. It was just awful in my humble opinion. Cripes.

Buffalo said...

Michael, lower your blood pressure. Stay away from all forms of the news media, eschew all sports, but some happy, new age, CDs and drift away on a multi colored cloud of peace and tranquility.

Alex Pendragon said...

laughing.....kel, the "guitar guy" is rumored to have died back in the 80's. Damn good embalming technique if you ask me!

Yea, Buf, I'd love to, but I don' smoke that stuff no mo........

And the Past Recedes... said...

Dang...yea looks like the embalming worked pretty good, but I do have to say they could have like gave him some No-Doz or something.