Friday, September 02, 2005

FUBAR



I have so much to say about this catastrophe I don't even know where to begin. The kind of destruction and misery we are witnessing (if not suffering) is the very kind of event that our vaunted Homeland Security Administration was supposed to be prepared to deal with. Lord knows Bush, his boss Cheney, and the good folks at Haliburton and other associated cronies have raked in enough of our tax dollars and spent billions of it on promises that we would be able to prevent and/or respond to such events, whether they be man made or natural. Well, folks, I don't know about you, but this response so far has been Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition. And it started before the first breezes of Katrina began to brush over the dikes of New Orleans.


First off, I, and I hope many Americans, are wondering, where in the hell were the buses, trains, or anything else that could have evacuated people when they were needed; BEFORE the damn storm hit. We knew what was coming, and we knew it had the potential to do exactly what it did. Yes, I know there are always hundreds of clueless idiots who can't grasp the concept of "getting the fuck out of here" when hurricanes head their way, but there were also thousands of people, mostly the working poor, sick, elderly, whatever, that had neither the money for gas or a car to put it in. So, must the ugly question once again be raised? In America, as far as government is concerned, if you fucked up and didn't quite manage to snare the American dream and buy yourself one of those monster SUV's, to bad, you're on your fucking own? You mean it's NOT our government's responsibility, local, state, or national, to evacuate people from out of harms way when you can clearly see where harm is going to visit? Maybe I was alot more naive than I thought I was when it came to knowing what I could count on from my government representatives.
You know, I try very hard not to play the race card, but now I am convinced that the United States Government does not consider the black man here or anywhere else as someone worthy of caring about. I figured that as far as Africa was concerned, well, black people just happen to have the misfortune of not living over big oil fields. You may have noticed that Washington pays an enormous amount of attention to people who live over oil fields. We love them. We let them train terrorists in their religious schools, we don't get to upset when they pay lip service to being our friends, or, we trump up some excuse to just go in and take over their country. But should black people fall victim to famine, aids, genocide........oh well, we can't be the world's policeman, now can we? Tell me I'm wrong. Throw all kinds of convoluted geopolitical rationality at me from your ivory tower where you obviously know the reasons why it has to be this way. I fully understand, being an average citizen, that if I can't understand your reasoning, it can only be because I'm stupid. So stupid I must have had a ghost writer write this blog for me.

Oh, I could have handled this better, right? Jimmy Carter's brother Billy could have handled this better. I can assure you that heads will role eventually, but there's one place the buck will never stop, and that's at the desk of the President of these here United States. If the American people still had the capability to exercise their outrage like they once did, I can assure you that within 6 months, impeachment proceedings would be getting underway in the Congress. But, since I have totally lost any faith I ever had that my fellow citizens actually cared about each other, I have no faith whatsoever that George Bush will ever be held accountable for the subtle and not-so-subtle crimes his has committed against this nation. Or should I say Dick Cheny, since I honestly don't think his puppet George has the capacity to really understand who's actually running this country.
OK, I could go on and on about this, but I have to head on out and try and find a gas station with gas. I hope I can afford to get to work this next month, because my hospital is expecting an influx of patients being evacuated from the disaster area. That is, if the troops ever show up to interdict these snipers shooting at the medivac helicopters. Oh, that's right, I forgot, they are overseas getting picked off left and right spreading freedom and democracy.

6 comments:

stardust said...

Great post tonight.Very heart-felt. I can hear your anger and despair up here in SW Georgia.

Something needs to be done about this span team.

Alex Pendragon said...

Thanks stardust. I deleted the sonofabitch, when I would have preferred to call him up and ask him which organ he would like to lose when I get my hands on him. If any of my readers can tell me how to get that spam intercept you other guys have been using for comments, I would appreciate you letting me know.

P.S. I know some of my readers might think it crass and/or lowbrow that I do not edit my epitaphs. I like to think of it as speaking straight from the hip, as real people do when they talk to each other, which at times can be colorful, especially when emotions run high. If "curse words" offend thee, feel free to "pluck them out".

Alex Pendragon said...

You're more than welcome, spass. By the way, you will never have heard me mention any such policy in regards to other places we happen to "legally" and perhaps morally have our troops stationed. So, thank YOU for your assumptions, and have a nice day. grin.

Buffalo said...

We need to be patient.

BULLSHIT! There ain't no way they can spin it that will make it right.

Good job, Michael.

kris said...

I think we are all in agreement on this one. And Michael, your voice is an even more important one given where you live - this very easily could have happened in your state.

I have almost killed off the spammers. To do this, go into your change settings, click on comments, and enable the word verification.

It saves me lots of frustration and I hope it does the same for you! :)

And the Past Recedes... said...

Great post. And I believe you summed it all up..what else is there to say? Thanks for being a voice...and you're right. I dont think anyone gives a damn about each other anymore. Well..I can't say that, there are some good people out there...few and far between though.