Saturday, August 19, 2006

Aftermath of Weird, and another Plug

The wife has healed sufficiently enough to return to work, and so have I, so it's back to real life. This has been truly a weird week, losing a good friend, suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fingers, and other assorted aggravations. It has truly been a blessing having such an outlet as this blog to help me deal with my minor misfortunes, and I really appreciate the kind words of encouragement and empathy that all of my readers have so graciously given me and the wife.

Most of us at one time or another have given into the frustration of thinking they have been reduced to unheeded voices in the wilderness, based on the number of comments they have received on their blogs. I recently encountered one blogger who seems to have discovered that magic formula which leads to comment heaven, because his blog scores something like 30 to 40 comments each post. Now, aside from the fact that he deserves each and every one he has generated, I must also say that he is no more talented than Tim or Shandi when it comes to overall blogworthyness. Yet he scores BIG time.

I will not attempt in this post to dissect his style and substance and try to reason out the secret of his success, but I will say one thing. I am not the least bit intimidated. Yea, I know, if I get ten comments on any one post I'm doing damn good, but then again, I count these as quality comments, received from fine and genuine folks who have discovered, then stuck with me almost from the very beginning. I fully realize that the nature of my blog, with it's mixed bag of social comment and biographical reporting, is hard to pigeonhole into something that appeals on a consistent basis to a cross section of blog aficionados, but it does seem to provide something to those who seem to have bookmarked me that makes it worth keeping tabs on. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that what we have here is family, rather than mass market, and we all know that family puts up with alot of less than stellar pedigree, simply because you have become something familiar in a way that breeds loyalty, something that goes beyond glitz and glamor.

Getting back to mega-comment man, I love the way his mind works, and he has returned the favor by engaging me with great comments. He is not one of these inane bloggers who just needs to just go away, as Tim has lamented in recent posts. Yes, I might sometimes envy him his relative success, but he truly has earned each and every accolade his has received for the concepts he explores. OK, OK, I know, you are just DYING to know who the hell I'm talking about.

I refer to him as HE in my replies in my comments section. Figure it out, and go see him. You won't regret it, I promise you.

5 comments:

JP (mom) said...

I figured it out (HE) ... and, although he is well responded to, I see no advantage in skill as a writer, compared to yours. Not to dimish his talents, but not to diminish yours either ... anyway, yes, it has been a weird week. But let's all keep blogging and sorting it out! Cheers, JanePoe

Romeo Morningwood said...

Thanks.
I have arrived at a more or less satisfactory reason for blogging through trial and error. I went through a weird stage of examining WHY I bother to do this. Luckily my OCD kicked in and forced me to investigate the dynamics of this amazing exercise in self discovery.

Here is what I discovered;
DEMOGRAPHICS; My adorable keshi is a tech savvy young lady in Australia who regularly gets over 100 comments. Her peers are completely at ease with this form of communicating and it is a community of respondents that feel at home in this realm.
I spent the first couple of months trying to find my voice and didn't get any response until I made a point of networking. I find it rewarding to invest time reading other blogs for about 2 hours a day. Like most things in Life you get what you give.

With the millions of Blogs available I have to trust the process of looking through the links of other entertaining and informative Blogs like yours.

Sorry for doddling on. I consider myself a Newb and hopefully I am on the right track. I didn't want to be a single issue site although I do read a lot of those. I love the diarists, trivia collectors, artists and well I like to explore as many other Blogs as possible.

That being said it does come down to establishing a reciprocal exchange. I am writing for myself and hopefully it is informative and tainted with smartass humor. I am mindful of other people and their feelings but I think that this forum is the most amazing way for REAL people to meet and talk openly about ANYTHING.

As a 48 year old guy who didn't know how to turn on a computer until last February I am thrilled to be able to relate to a ridiculously wide spectrum of fellow Earthlings. I try to have fun with it. I am not wasting my time trying to impress anyone because I am more interested in the journey (however corny that sounds).

I was very excited to find your site and look forward to learning more about what is going on in your brain in the days to come.Cheers.

Alex Pendragon said...

Dammit, HE, I tried to protect your secret identity by subtle little hints, but NOOOOOOO, you had to step out of the phone booth and change into your costume right in the middle of the street! Thanks for stopping by, guy, and keep up the good work. Tim is need of quality links to sites like yours to get him thru his "rampant blogging morons" angst, which I'm sure we all suffer thru when we get bored enough to hit that "next blog" button.

anna said...

I stumbled upon HE's blog through one of your blogs, The Michael. I enjoy his as much as I enjoy yours. Well, maybe that's not entirely true. I think I enjoy yours just a little bit more because yours seems to give readers more glimpses into your personal life.

I did notice that he replies to just about every single comment that is left on his blog. I think people like, and maybe even crave, that interaction. Maybe you should start talking to us more. :)

Alex Pendragon said...

Anna, thank you, and you are absolutely right. Matter of fact, I want to hire you as my PR agent. With the suggestion that I answer each and every comment, you showed me how to DOUBLE my number of comments! You are a GENIOUS! Besides, it's just plain good manners, and I'm somewhat ashamed to have not realized that on my own. I promise to devote more time to answering my "fan mail".

Oh, and thank you for YOUR kind comment; you're right, I do sort of thrive on it.