Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Fall of the House of Blogger


There is a menace stalking us here in blogville. It is insidious, and has taken out several very good bloggers and is threatening to remove a few more, myself included. The name of this abomination (shudder) is...........don't close your eyes, you have to know it........BURNOUT!

Oh, you thought this creature only stalked teachers, nurses, cops, and professional novel writers, didn't you? Oh no, my friend, this beast feeds off any prey that is consistent in just about any activity, if said prey sticks with it long enough and falls short of enough validation to lend religious purpose to their endeavors. The mighty and the weak are both susceptible to this menace, and raw talent cannot in and of itself fend it off. Drugs might work for awhile, but only makes the morsel that much tastier in this spawn of hell's mouth.

I noticed this apparition hovering in the shadows behind me not long ago, when my muse began to tire just a bit. This predator can sense that weakness from afar, and waits in the darkness for one to stumble, at which time it's at your throat and it's all over; you simply can't stick with it anymore. I've been running with the herd, watching my fellow bloggers succumb to the hunt one at a time, and frankly, I can sense my own ending as I watch this horrible thing feast on the carcasses of good friends that couldn't outrun him. Safety in numbers only goes so far......

However, I shall not go quietly into the maw of this demon. I am fashioning talismans, spells, oaths, and even psychoanalytical mantras in an effort to keep him at bay. If I have to resort to writing insane rantings on par with those of Hunter Thompson or Mickey, then by Bob I will! If I have to start describing in nasty detail the more disgusting aspects of my job, so help me I will pull no punches! If I have to use my blog to make a hopeless run for President of the United States, SO HELP ME BOB I WILL. Friends, Romans.......(Romans?)....AMERICANS! Lend my your pupils! Upon this hallowed page yee shall know that THE Michael stood his ground, he gave no quarter, and fought the good fight! He took fingertip to key, mouse-click to "publish", and in a breath born of all known furies, proclaimed, "CRY HAVOC, and let slip the dogs of blogging!!!!!!!!!!"

Or something to that effect..........

9 comments:

Naughti Biscotti said...

BRAVO BRAVO!!!! I know this creature that you speak of. He has been stalking me for quite some time now. He has mauled me on more than 3 ocassions. I recovered, only to succumb to him again.

It's quite difficult to post often and well. I think I have to chose one or the other. Considering that people would rather not have to read crap in order to stay loyal, I might choose to post less.

Great post Michael.

Buffalo said...

I ain't burned out so I know you aren't talking about me.

Anonymous said...

Oh, great hero on the quest, you have bravely answered the call! Go forth and slay this vile beast. By the way, a couple of tokes of Salvia may assist in walking between the worlds. Just a little shaman’s trick.

I wish you much peace on your warrior’s journey into the ambiguous, fragmented and overlapping realm of literary cubism. I happen to think that’s just gonzo!

Naughti Biscotti said...

Mickey, what the hell is salvia? I misread and thought you were talking about saliva.

Alex Pendragon said...

NO, Buf, I ain't talking bout you. Guys like you don't burn out, they just sorta cease to exist when no one's looking.

And Mick, you might be crazy, but you are damn good crazy..........oh, sorry, but I've been doing it natural for quite a long time now.

Anonymous said...

“…oh, sorry, but I've been doing it natural for quite a long time now.”

You are indeed one of US! That’s just scary.

Psst…Sweet Shandi, Salvia is the pot of the Shamans darling. The weed of the medicine man. Schizos don’t seem to need it by the way.

morningstar said...

(peeking in.. picking up keyboard.. preparing fingers to type....... ) youuuuuuuuuu whoooooooo Michael .. i am still here Ya know.. still reading.. sometimes still scratching my head..

please please do not go softly into the great abyss..... fight back the demon... i can loan you a fairy or two to sprinkle fairy dust if you think it would help..... (cheeky grin)

morningstar

Anonymous said...

The Michael: I think the real demon is summer. It seems that a bunch of blogging goes on during the winter, when folks are in early, it gets darker quicker, there is not a lot to do outside. Now though, it's spring/summer/fall, and folks have better things to do than sit behind a keyboard. Heck, it's still daylight out and life beckons. I'll go for quality before quantity, if need be. Just keep writing.
Oh, missing you over at Adventures too!
Have a great weekend!

Davoh said...

"burnout" ?? nah, just tread carefully.