Sunday, May 14, 2006

Suffer the Children


I was watching this thing on the news about how desperate couples are to have children, even going so far as to buy unused fertility drugs from others on the internet. The featured couple had blown $28,000 on these treatments, maxing out their credit cards and taking out a second mortgage. Now really. Is it just me or is there something a mite bit over the top with this mindless need to procreate?

This planet is bulging at the seams, so crowded with humans it is on the brink of collapsing under the weight of so much humanity. With increasing numbers and the effects of a polluted environment on fertility, it's no wonder there are quite a number of couples who share at least one member who is not up to snuff in the sperm or egg department. Yet we are overwhelmed with unplanned and unwanted pregnancies, or children thrown to the wolves of the child welfare system due to the meltdown of families left and right. On one hand, we have infertile couples desperate to "complete themselves" by having children, while on the other, we have people desperate to get rid of them.

That's another thing I despise religion for. The tenants of most of them encourage rampant childbearing, albeit that we not enjoy the process of doing so. This is truly a selfish and reckless mindset that takes no heed of the reality that this planet is finite in it's resources and room. Of course, since HAY-ZEUS is coming on down to lay waste to Sodom and cart off all these billions of souls to live on fluffy clouds for all eternity, we need not worry about overpopulation and the hell it can make of life on Earth. Yea, right. We could solve alot of our problems if these millions of people lusting after afterlife would just go ahead and go there, leaving the rest of us with at least SOME common sense to enjoy the lives we DO have.

So, I propose this; that those who are naturally childless yet feel there is such a hole in their being they MUST have children, then adopt. When you refuse to consider such an option, you pay these poor children the ultimate disrespect by telling them they are not good enough to fill that hole that haunts you so. You tell them you would rather bankrupt yourself attempting to have a child begat of your own genes than bring them to your dinner table and love them like your own. You tell them they are worthless.

I do not have a maternal bone in my body, yet I love my wife's twin daughters as though they were my own. They will not continue MY genetic line, but guess what? I don't give a shit! Really! People who have or want to have kids look at me like I'm some kind of monster when I share my total lack of enthusiasm for the "joys" of parenthood or passing on my genes to the next generation. I was lucky by virtue that my step kids were grown up by the time I entered the picture, yet they treat me more as their Dad than the one who knocked up their Mother. Being a parent has alot more to do with what's in your heart than what's between your legs.


So, before any one of you who are striving to have children thru artificial means dare to suggest that I just don't get it, let me suggest to you that it's YOU who have to examine your motivations concerning childbearing. There are thousands of children rotting away in less than ideal foster situations, or worse, that are hoping that maybe you will too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, there is a reason you're treated more like a dad than our real dad. Speaking for myself, as I can't speak for "The Good Twin", you've shown me more respect, never questioned my decisions, have stood behind me no matter what, and in the past 12 years, I've done more "growing up" than I did in the first 17 years of my life. To be totally honest with you, when people ask me where my parents live, they're both on that little acre of land up in N. Florida.
Love ya both,
The Evil Twin

Anonymous said...

Thank you, The Michael, for a good little blog... I've always wanted to scream at people who go to fertility clinics for one reason: They're passing on faulty damn genes. If a person undergoing such treatments "wouldn't wish the horror of infertility on anyone," well, guess what? Genetically, that person is wishing it on their kids!! (_And_ they're screwing up the larger human gene pool at the same time...have these people never heard of survival of the fittest????)

My beloved sister has flatly said she won't breed because she cannot bear the thought of passing on our genetic predisposition toward clinical depression, terminal brain cancer, diabetes, etc. to her theoretical kids. She will adopt instead. I think it's a crime against humanity for Sarah not to have kids of her own, but I applaud her reasoning nonetheless. It sometimes makes me wonder whether _I_ should have my own kids...but I take one look at Dennis and I can't help but want to try. :-) But when it comes down to it, either I have my own naturally or I adopt. It's that simple. Anything else is unnatural, and in the long run of the human race, profoundly stupid.

Alex Pendragon said...

My dearest daughter, you make me want to celebrate Father's day! Thank you for that!

Kathryn, thanks for stopping by and joining in the fun. As for survival of the fitist, well, that's all whole 'nuther blog! We are the first species to not be governed by that basic law of nature and we are suffering for it. Tell Dennis to swear off big motorcycles and THEN think about kids.......hehe.

Cherish, I'm just recharging my batteries, so don't freak, the Michael isn't going anywhere. What, you and littleone don't like my reruns? hehe....smile.

Anonymous said...

The Michael: I also do not have that maternal gene. In all my years, I have never had the urge to recreate. Thank you for putting it so well. Adoption is the route I would go if I couldn't conceive and wanted a child that badly. I work for an attorney who specializes in Family Law and see some of the children that need good loving homes with parents who encourage and love unconditionally. I just don't understand the folks who have to have their 'own' children, no matter what. It's true, it is not the blood that makes the parent, it is the LOVE.

Anonymous said...

Exactly my feelings. I also think that if we, us, all nations on Earth do not adopt, namely, the law that once China set up to have only one child for every houshold, there will be dire concequences for the next generations. I have been advocating this law for everybody since last century.

Me (who has only one, wonderful, 24 year old daughter, thank you very much.)