Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Unbearable Darkness of "New" Rock

When i am forced to listen to the alternative rock station in my car for lack of anything else, I have become increasingly aware that I have not heard a happy song in I don't know how long. Everything is Anger, heartbreak, angst, or simply shallow anarchy. And that's not including rap. What in the hell has happened? Has peace, love, some illusion of happiness been replaced by hopelessness, disrespect, anger, sneering, or utter chaos? Everything I hear sounds more like a reason to commit suicide than to commit to anything joyful. No wonder all teens seem to want to do anymore is sit on the couch muttering that life is already over, let's go kill something.......sheesh!
I want to hear someone do something totally radical, revolutionary, in the face rebellious! Dare to insert the words, "I love you" in a song.........have you got the guts? Of course, I realize you have to make the lyrics almost totally unintelligible, loud, insanely fast, with lots of profanity (or their associated BLEEPS) and disrespect for women and your elders to get airplay, but hey, whatever it takes, right? Just slyly slip those three terribly boring and old fashioned words in there somewhere........then sit back and watch your fans go.....WTF did they say? Then, all of a sudden, it will be the latest fad, you will be proclaimed the saviors of rock, and you can rack in the bucks. I mean........it's all about the money, right?
Or, just once, you can just write a good song. That says something, shall I dare say....meaningfull. Without the cloak of anger or darkness you think you have to wrap yourselves in to get airplay. It might accidently get on the air. Now, wouldn't THAT be a happy accident?!

4 comments:

And the Past Recedes... said...

I totally agree...where's the love?

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I only listen to those stations when I'm in a pissy mood and want to stay that way for a little while;>

Naughti Biscotti said...

Good point!!! I can't seem to detect the actual lyrics in most songs anyway.
I think that the problem is a reflection of what is going on with society on a larger scale. Most would rather relate to misery rather than hope for something better. Thought provoking.

Alex Pendragon said...

Well guys, personally, I think the whole planet is doomed, but since we are all in denial anyway, why not go out singing silly love songs? grin