Friday, April 29, 2005

The Copper Wire Connection

I want to thank my Brother in tragedy, hope, halarity and indiference, Buffalo, for his kind responses to my comments on his blog. It would be a much better world for all of us if we men, hardass bastards as we insist on being, could step down off our high horses and admit to each other how human we all are, that we hurt, we cry, we need, we want, we desire, we screw up, and despite everything, are actually great people to know once we've given each other that barely perceptable nod of respect we demand of each other. We are all children who are never going to grow up, no matter what you do to us or for us, so get over it, and let us act like men when we're sober enough to do so. All you have to do is watch the playpen on Capital Hill to get the gist of what I'm talking about. Thanks, Bro, I may never meet you, but I know all I need to.
Moving on.......the wife is getting all spiritual on me, which, relax, is a good thing. She's gotten in touch with her spirit guide, weaves a knowing out of coincidence, and pities me for not being more sensitive to my psychic side. Now, don't get me wrong, I am rooting for her. Hell, I've always WANTED there to be UFO's, I just can't claim to have seen one. I would be greatly relieved to be met with that tunnel of light when the ciggarettes finally claim me, rather than a pit of eternal regrets. I really am an open minded individual, I just also happen to be a skeptic. I believe in what I can see, touch, feel, especially when it comes after me when I'm just minding my own business. Yea, I could easily be an atheist, if I hadn't hiked thru Denali National Park, swam in the waters of the Virgin isles, dodged a few soviet depth charges, seen the discovery channel, or had a woman love me despite knowing me. So, if she tells me things are going to be OK, because her dreams tell her so, I'm going with the dreams, even if I have no idea how the hell I'm coming up with money for this next bill. Our asses have been pulled out of the fire just in the nic of time to many times already for me to believe otherwise.
And one last thing. I finally discovered the best song ever performed, period. I have rather eclectic tastes, having heard it all since Chubby Checker, and yes, I know that Clapton was God, I actually DID get Pink Floyd, and I admit to humming bubble gum when I'm not paying attention, and I know that the end began when the Beatles broke up. If you are looking at 50 and have been paying attention, to EVERYTHING, lately, you know damn well what I mean. Anyway, the song I speak of I wish I could play right here in this blog. It's "Somewhere over the rainbow/It's a beautifull world" by this humongous obese Hawaian who's name I can't remember off hand and couldn't pronounce anyway. The thing about this song, in a nutshell, is that you would have to be one cold, pathelogically indifferent, and lacking in depth individual NOT to be effected by it in some fashion or another. It has the power to reach deep inside you and pull out whatever makes you weep or laugh, which you WILL do, even if you have to wait for everybody to leave before you secumb. It's not the lyrics, which everybody in the world has heard over and over again, it's the words AND the melody, which this remarkable artist was allowed to give to us before the fat killed him. I'm glad he was here.....I just wish he still was.

No comments: