Friday, November 18, 2005

The Great Ascent


It was a cold, crisp night, the harvest moon creeping over the tree-line, and I was arriving home after a twelve hour shift, the house dark and empty, since the wife was putting in a late night shift herself. I loaded up the plastic bags of items I had picked up on the way home and headed for the steps of the porch when suddenly I was confronted with..........the first step. I froze. The step was intimidating, to say the least, as one would be required to lift their foot a good 8 inches into the air in order to mount it. To make matters worse, there was another step above that one that rose the same distance, only this one was further back, which would require that a forward as well as lifting motion would be required with the other foot in order to get to it, a daunting proposition to say the least. These two feet of mine had not risen much further than perhaps 3 inches at the most all day long in order to propel me along the floor, and now they were being tasked with a whole new motion I wasn't sure they were prepared to make. I stood there with two gallons of wine in one hand and a frozen pizza in the other, my keys grasped somewhere in the mix, wondering what I was going to do. There was no getting into the house without first surmounting this intimidating obstacle, and it was dark, since the outside light had not been turned on when the wife left the house. Damn her! How could she not foresee the quandary she would put me in by her incompetence?!
It was not long after I had gathered the courage and fortitude to attempt the ascent up this Everest when, looking up, I was horrified to discover that there were not simply 2, but a total of 5 of these terrible wooden platforms that I was going to have to circumvent if I ever hoped to get within the comfort and safety of my abode! Can you imagine the state of mind I must have been in at that terrible moment? I could say that my entire life flashed before my eyes, but I would be exaggerating, for my mind was racing so fast I couldn't even remember how I had managed to climb into the car, a feat that surely should have prepared me mentally for this challenge. Oh, the humanity! What WAS I going to do?
Then, the answer to my quandary came in a flash in the guise of a small, furry animal that zipped right past me and ascended the dreaded staircase in such an easy, fluid motion the very grace of it simply astounded me! Within the span of 2 seconds, this creature had made it to the top of the steps and onto the porch with a motion that could only be described as effortless, which so impressed me that I almost dropped the heavy wine bottles from my weakening grasp. Suddenly, I was in the grasp of an epiphany, as if the truth of the universe had been revealed to me like a spotlight in the darkness.
With the enlightenment that comes to few people caught in such terrible circumstances, I centered myself and lifted a foot, propelling it forward as I did, daring to believe that I, empowered with the faith one must have to challenge and conquer such a beast, could do this as easily as this feline wonder had. Imagine the pride that swelled within my breast as I shifted my body forward and was rewarded with the solid and comforting feel of my foot cleanly placing itself upon that first step! The sensation was, for lack of a better discription....exhilerating! With a newfound gusto, I brought up the other foot and followed thru with the same motion that had enabled me to attain that first step, and, WAH-LAH! There I was, safely ensconced upon the first step and ready to propel myself upward to the second. I now knew I could do this; nothing on Bob's green Earth had a snowball's chance in hell of stopping me now!
I would like to report to you now with great pleasure that I managed to climb this huge obstacle with no less effort and grace then the cat had proven to me could be done, but sadly, my friends, at that very moment I snapped out of the silly state of mind that Lights-in-the-Wake had put me into before I had left for this trip. So, there I was, standing on the porch, looking down those steps, smiling at how I, THE Michael, had managed to take such a mundane occurrence that did not deserve such a complicated rendering, and RENDERED that sucker for all it was worth! I would like to thank Lights for providing me with the inspiration to make this story possible. Without his able assistance, you surely would have been subjected to another rant, inane observation, or dose of Madness for which I have become infamous.

Tune in tomorrow when THE Michael attempts to collect various foodstuffs in a four wheeled conveyance which will surely terrify ALL of you when one of those wheels begins to WOBBLE! Don't say I didn't warn you.........

8 comments:

Time said...

I think you and Lights are stealing my niche. I've built a career on writing about nothing. And now you come along and try to turn something into nothing. It's not fair. You make it seem like there is nothing too it :)

Alex Pendragon said...

Oh, believe me, I am quaking in my boots thinking how lame everyone is going to think about my foray into this genre. Both you and LIghts leave me in the dust when it comes to writing. But I am clawing my way out of the primordial ooz, and one day when I have evolved into something with an opposing thumb, THEN you'll have something to worry about. Till then, I hold you two in complete awe, the Kings of Nothing. Now wait, I meant that as a complement, really. :)

Naughti Biscotti said...

Michael... are you sure it was President George W. Bush who put those stairs there in order to impede your progress into your home. At least you found the stairs... at least it wasn't rumored that they were stairs of mass destruction... at least they weren't a lie created to give Bush and his minions access to all the oil reserves on the planet. By the way... did you check under the stairs to see if Osama may have been hiding there.
(all in good humor michael... i hope you know i'm kidding)

morningstar said...

Michael dear Michael the great one who gloats over owning a mac..... has it occured to you that tomorrow when you go off to do battle with the wobbly wheeled vehicle.. that you will need to descend those stairs ???

smiling angelically
morningstar

Alex Pendragon said...

I love you girls, I really do. No Shandi, a top administration official leaked to me that George W. Bush, who is rumoured to have been elected president some years ago, has gutted the CIA so badly that they were caught totally unawares that I intended to acsend that staircase. Had they BEEN aware, I'm sure my porch would have been invaded, based on your leak of classified information concerning the whereabouts of Ben Laden beneath my porch, where I have it on good authority he has been plotting the overflow of my septic system.

And morning, otherwise known as star, aka littleone, I thought long and hard about your revelation, and it has occured to me that if the theory of gravity is not totally discredited by the religous right, I should have no difficulty falling off said porch, thus being in a position to to take on said wobbly wheeled vehicle, with the able assistance of a homeless person who HAS to know how to deal with such a situation. OH, and by the way, superiority of Macs vs PC's is a FACT, not a theory. hehe

Naughti Biscotti said...

I'm glad you knew i was kidding Michael.
Thanks for visiting "kelbabie". That was soooo sweet of you. I am your fan for life.

Alex Pendragon said...

Phase TWO? Crap! The pages in the super-double-secret code book stuck together and I unwittingly implemented Phase Three! All is lost! Burn it all, burn it all NOW! No, wait, I think we chew it up first, THEN burn it....hell.....nevermind....just act natural.

morningstar said...

giggling furiously.....

honestly Michael some of the stuff that shows up in Your comments makes me laugh more than what You originally wrote........ Phase Two??? LOL....

ok ok i needed that.. i managed to drop a box of 12 cans of coke .. 8 of which exploded all over the entry way.. the cats thought it great fun and are paddling around in the sugary mess even as i type.. ummmmmm is that a bit like Nero fiddling why Rome burned??

morningstar