Friday, November 11, 2005

The Road to Recovery, etc......


Well, today I had my third session of physical therapy and re-evaluation by the Workman's' Comp Doc, and it's one more week of light duty. You masochists out there would love this electro stimulus contraption they hook up to you. He tells me to just turn the knob up till I reach a "strong, yet comfortable" setting. Trying to get the voltage up to do me the most good, I usually end up with my back trying to detach itself from my body and crawl off the table. Today he pasted that electrode right on top of my shoulder muscle, which had me shrugging like crazy when the juice turned on. I don't EVEN want to know how high morningstar would have cranked that sucker up! hehe
And do I get a really nice female therapist? Hell no, I get the 6 foot 8 hercules with the foreign accent that knows how to hurt you in the name of therapy! He wasn't THAT bad, accept when he insisted on loosening up my spinal column which he does by poking me in the spine between the disks with a finger harder than steel, and when he hits this certain spot halfway down it's like I touched the third rail of the subway...OUCH!
The Doc thinks another week of light duty, which in my case means I get to play unit clerk (God I hate that job!) and by then I should be able to get back out on the floor and do my usual thing. Thing is, I'm already 50 and these patients are getting heavier and heavier. If you people stuffing your faces and sitting on your gargantuan asses all day thinks your obesity only effects you, let me inform you otherwise. It effects the nurses and aids having to pull your blubber around in hospital beds, causing us injuries we don't need. But, that's another subject altogether.
Today was Veterans Day. It is truly a day of honor. But this one is sad for me, because my brothers-in-arms are being dishonored, being injured and killed in a sham war that one day might very well have the perpetrator of this fiasco being brought up on war crimes. But one thing I AM proud of is the way the American people have behaved this time around in the midsts of an unpopular war. They have not blamed our troops for the mess Bush has created. Those both favoring and opposing this thing still stand behind our troops 100%, because regardless of the politics, they proudly serve their country.
Yes, there have been some bad things happen involving our troops, but I think all these shameful acts can be laid on the doorstep of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfield, who one way or another made it possible for these acts to occur, flinging mud in the face of this great nation and dishonoring us amongst our friends and allies in the world. These idiots seem to have forgotten what this great nation stands for, instead acting more like nazi's. Rumsfield, you would feel more comfortable working for Putin, than a country that stands for the rule of law and civilized behavior in conflict.
So today, I take some time out from my petty concerns and thank those of the greatest generation for saving our collective asses from the Axis powers, you brave souls who stood down the North Koreans, my brothers who slogged thru the rice patties of Southeast Asia and suffered terribly for it, and my shipmates who helped us win the cold war. To my brothers and sisters in the Middle East, I can only hope we get you home safe and sound before we lose another thousand of you brave kids. I salute you all........

4 comments:

Buffalo said...

Another outstanding piece of writing, bro. Agree with you so much re the Vets.

As to the therapy, suck it up you freakin' wuss! What, you some kind of girly man?

Alex Pendragon said...

You just wait till I catch you admitted to my unit, you fat hog! hehe. Can you spell F O L E Y?

And the Past Recedes... said...

Mmm...electric voltage machines. I used to work for a Chiropractor and I loved getting hooked up to the machines...mmm...yesss. lol...

Great post about the vets!

morningstar said...

(BIG stamp of foot)
if THE "morningstar" you were referring to in this blog was ME??!!! You are just sooooooo wrong Michael - anything that plugs into a wall comes NO WHERE near this bod!!! no where - hear me??!!!

no comment on the Veteran's Day or as we call it up here in the Great White NOrth "Remembrance Day" cause i can't talk about it rationally.. i just get so ding dang cross ..

morningstar