Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Ten Years and Counting


Yesterday I was returned to full duty and resumed my place on the floor doing the the voodoo that I do so well. What a pleasure to get back to doing what I'm best at! And it was a good day, too, getting to interact with patients again, one asking where I'd been, I was missed, two more asking me how I could zip back and forth all day like that....hehe...."superpowers, M'aam, superpowers!"
Of course my legs were hurting by the last hour of the shift, but hell, I'm used to that. Just my poor old body telling me it got used, and boy did I use it! Oh, and I got handed my ten year award, which consisted of an attaboy from the Prez, (you, know, those form congrats where they fill in the name), incased in genuine lucite, no less, and my pick from an exciting assortment of prizes from the ten year service list. I went for the 52 piece dinnerware set. Sure LOOKED nice. And here I was thinking with ten you get eggroll.......
This will be the longest I have ever survived one place of employment. How I got this far only Bob knows. Not that I've actually GOTTEN anywhere with this job, it being somewhat pretty low on the food chain, but hey, it almost pays the bills. The daunting realization is that I have to get thru another 15 years at least before what's left of Social Security kicks in, and even then I will probably have to don a blue vest for Walmart at minimum wage and act as though I actually give a shit that all those wonderful people are coming in to enjoy their low, low prices. Ah, fond dreams of retirement, American Style. Well, who knows, maybe the Church of Bob will have garnered such a huge following that I'll have to graciously accept the role Church Elder of the Enlightened and take my 10% cut. Boy, a guy could do some sweet living on THAT kind of mohlah! I just hope Bob has as much a sense of humor as I think he does.....hehe.
Well, one twin daughter is home and the other is on the way for Thanksgiving. I don't know why we're celebrating this holiday exactly, what with the Wife's Wiccan ways and all, but it's not exactly a religious holiday, which has that going for it, but knowing her, she's probably got some Wiccan alternative celebration in mind. Long as there's turkey, I have no problems with it. Provided, of course, that the Turkey Liberation Army doesn't make it past the minefield this year.
Oh, and speaking of Wicca, and magic, and stuff, something happened I'm dying to tell you guys about that Rod Serling would be proud to have written for the Twilight Zone. That will be in my next post, unless it gets put off due to A; Extinction event, B; The wife catches my Imac on fire like she did her pants (another post altogether), or C; a suicide turkey makes it thru the perimeter stuffed with C5.
Till then, I am wishing all of you guys a happy Thanksgiving, even you, Buffalo old buddy, even though you seemed to be rooting for the turkeys, you SOB.

Blessed Be.

5 comments:

Time said...

Well congrats on winning the dinnerware. And there are going to be a lot of us competing for that Walmart job. Remind me to tell you my idea for a Walmart Assisted Living Community where people live out their twilight years living over a Walmart.

Happy Thanksgiving and good luck with those turkeys. Maybe you should promise them a trip to DisneyWorld like the president did.

Buffalo said...

Gotta root for the turkeys, bro. Just learned in some parts of the country the word turkey is also used as a nickname for that sweet piece of heaven with which a woman keeps us panting.

How could I not root for the turkeys?

morningstar said...

ok.. first of all Michael.. it is my belief that all those Hellmart greeters are actually poor folk that wandered in and never did find their way out...... have You ever noticed how much like a maze Hellmarts are?? or is it just lil blond me??

Also .. You are SUCH a tease!!! i have to wait for those posts???? (stamping foot) not fair.. not fair at all .. now i will be logging on here at all hours of the day and night hoping against hope You have posted.. sighhhhhh...

have a grand thanksgiving celebration !!!!

morningstar

teri said...

Well now, I do have to root for the turkeys...that's my nic name at work...although after looking at bufs comment I'm not sure that that is good. Happy Turkey Day!!!

Alex Pendragon said...

Late night report: The kids all made it here safe, the wife concocted a suculent feast that I truly believe is the best I've had to date, and not one insurgent made it past my defenses. We finished out the night watching "War of the Worlds" and "Reefer Madness; The Musical." One must give thanks this day that we are such a well balanced family with fine, upstanding American values. Tommorrow we shall get back to the business of undermining all that is good and decent in this country. Bob bless us all!