Wednesday, March 22, 2006

AND THE HITS KEEP COMING..........or not.......


Well, gang, I finally, FINALLY installed a hit counter on MM&M. As I type this up, the grand total is 56. Yes, 56. Since yesterday. I have no idea whether or not this is a very good, average, or pathetic number, as blog hits go. But, what does bother me is that the most number of comments I can expect at any given time is about seven (as compared to Buffalo and Tim's average of 5987), so when you cast that 56 against 7, well, that's 49 people who passed on by with nary a comment. Every once in awhile I might get a comment from someone I do not previously remember hearing from, but overall my fan base would not populate even the smallest banana republic. Or a nightclub. Or a closet. Sigh.

I thought perhaps a niche blog would perhaps draw more attention. So I created the Adventures of an Alter Ego. That is pretty damn niche if you ask me. Well, so much for that idea. Only my hard core niche minded friends showed up, and even then the reviews were mixed, which only proves that even a niche blog requires exceptional talent to draw in the numbers. That, and Photoshop.

Speaking of photoshop, I am beginning to equate that wondrous tool of artistic manipulation with steroids. That's right. Pumped up blogs that might not get quite the attention if it wasn't for the high tech intervention. Now, before the howling begins, I want to assure you that I am not directly referring to our friend Tim-Elvis when I make this point. I think his would stand quite well on it's own even without the digital slight-of-hand. Buffalo is proving that with every post; the man don need no stinkin' photoshop.

I was also beginning to think that perhaps relying on my life as a template for a blog was a big mistake. The things that happen to me are about as quant and common as lives go, and I can understand why my posts aren't exactly adventure material. I go nowhere, I do nothing, and I write about it. Another words, I write about basically nothing. It's no wonder this blog suffers so.

However, I DO have a secret weapon. I could pull this high-calibre, multi-megaton warhead out at any time and the content of MM&M would suddenly get a whole lot steamier. Trouble is, I would be straying across borders that need not be crossed. Every couple, or one of a couple, that decides to lay it all out to the world has to decide every day, every post exactly how much he/she/they wish to reveal without exposing something that might come back to bite them in the ass. The relationship I have with my wife is a fine example of this. I love this woman. I think you all know that. So whenever I write about US, I have to take into account that she is not exactly a big fan of revealing things that many other couples who blog seem willing to do. And I can understand that. I watch these hollywood gossip shows on television and sometimes I yell back at the screen, "Who GIVES a FUCK who's doing who? I Don't FRIGGIN CARE!" So, although the generic posts concerning the goings-on here at Pendragon hold are usually mild and slightly interesting, they do respect both hers and my privacy to a certain extent. Not that we are rubber clad swingers who have a thing for Ethiopian midgets who recite Shakespeare, or anything like that (exactly....hehe), but for now at least, my need for ratings has not and I do not think it will reach the point that you'll be peeking under anyone's skirt anytime soon, subject wise.

So, if anything, the hit counter only proves that the fans I DO have seem to have become comfortable with what I am able to deliver. I will do my best to find ways to improve my blog, but my resources are limited, as is my natural talent. Thank you for sticking with me, friends, and thank you for sharing YOUR lives with me in those fashions that YOU find comfortable.

6 comments:

darlingina said...

To each their own Sir Michael. i for one love Your blogs. And if wasn't for Your leading me here in Your blog direction, would i be here. I thank You for that. Blog what you wanna blog, blog what feels right and comfortable at the time and don't worry about the silly numbers. Be grateful for the wonderful ability that You have to write and for all the friends You've made along the way. Also, i always enjoy the photos You find to display on your blog. They always fit your posts perfectly. So keep up the great work. Your loyal blog reader and hard core niche minded friend. ;o)
Hugs,
~gina~

A said...

Please don't let the sitemeter fool you or sway you, Michael. It's nice to have, but trust me; writing for yourself is always better than writing for "fans". :-)

And yes, if you wrote about sex or personal issues, you'd probably almost certainly get more hits and more comments. But I went that route before years ago, created a blog that was very explicit sexually (!!!), got listed all over the place, got tons of hits, but after awhile, as you say, it became too much sharing. Too much personal stuff. Both my husband Dan and I got squicked out about it and took the damn things down altogether.

Which is a shame because there was much on there that had nothing to do with sex. Baby out with the bathwater. :-(

As you say, it bit me in the ass.

Also, know that the sitemeter counts every hit, even your own, even if it's the same person a dozen times in a hour unless you fool around with the settings.

So...it's not about quantity of hits, but quality. :-)

I currently get fewer hits on this blog than on my last two (yes, even our second blog became too explicit and we ended up taking that one down too) but I'm happier with the type of comments and the type of readers I have now than ever before.

Now I love your blog and I've been reading you for a while now; not the least reason being that I got the distinct impression you love your wife very much and I'm always looking for bloggers who have happy marriages, but I never commented until recently because, well, truth be told...I'm a little shy. Leaving a comment on a new blogger's blog (for me) feels like knocking on the door where a private party is going on. "Can I come in?"

There is always the chance that the response will be, "Who the hell are you?" and that's a scary premise. :-)

Anyway. I'm done blathering here but bottom line; please don't change what you write about. I mean, if you want to open up more, do it for yourself, not for more hits. And please don't let sitemeters or number of comments change what you write about. I've gone that route and...*sighs*. It's not good.

Yeah, you might get more attention if you throw away your privacy but chances are it will be the kind of attention you won't like much.

OH! One more thing (I do leave long-assed comments...heh); I send my husband every blog I write if it involves our personal lives first, in case he is uncomfortable with anything. And he has asked me to take some parts out if it's too much. Because I tend to be a little too open sometimes still. So I do appreciate how you respect your wife's feelings in this very much. :-)

morningstar said...

i for one come back regularily to read you......i thoroughly enjoy your blog... (you know that already) .... it is one of the very few "vanilla" blogs i read..

don't despair.. and for Bob's sake don't disappear on me.. i would miss you !!!

morningstar - being sincere and not the least bit cheeky (that is one for the books!!)

And the Past Recedes... said...

Yea...I took my hit counter off because I kept comparing it with others and it got depressing. And I've ran into a total topic wall as of late. I can't think about anything to write about...sigh. Such is the boring life.

Alex Pendragon said...

Well, well, I certainly got a response with this one! Thanks guys, for your loving and loyal support. And Holly, I love you, but quit calling me "Mike".....It's Michael or DAD, take your pick (I call her the evil twin for a reason....hehe). Kiss.

Amber, you certainly do know how to leave a novel......I mean comment. You are worse than me when it comes to commenting. But that's a GOOD thing, as far as I'm concerned. I really like your blog, how honest and straightforward you are with your lives, and your hubby does a damn good job himself. I wish I could get my own wife to dive in and contribute.

And littleone.....stop calling me vanilla......call me anything but that.....or so help me Bob, I"ll........ah............ah...........

morningstar said...

LOL.. You'll what Michael?? stamp your foot.. pout.. ummmmmmmm that is my job ding dang it!! and if i don't call you vanilla.. what other flavour do you prefer????

morningstar (definitely being cheeky now)