Monday, March 20, 2006

Passing into Valhalla


Today brings more loss to our family. The wife's older brother and uncle to our twins, Conrad, has passed on after a hard life that finally surrendered to cancer. I personally did not know nor have I ever met Conrad, but my impression was that he was the hard-bitten, lived as he wished road warrior of the clan. The pictures I have seen of him remind me of the Buffalo in many ways, and I think they may have well have been cut from the same clothe. He died with no shame for how he lived his life, which is well and good, for he faced his end exactly how he wished. In retrospect I kinda wished I had gotten to know him.

This has had a profound effect upon the matriarc of the family, who has lost two children in the course of a year. Nothing pains a parent more than to outlive their son's and daughters. Most of us are in agreement that this woman may very well outlive us all, for despite all the assaults that age and loss have bestowed upon her, she puts the ever-ready bunny to shame. As in just about every family, their are histories that haunt us all, but when Bob embraces us and removes us from our family, it still effects us, and we do not take the loss lightly.

In speaking of this loss, I also introduce the "coming out" of my daughter Holly, whom I have lovingly referred to as "The Evil Twin". I assure you all, and her, that she is anything but evil. She has had her trials and tribulations, her hurts and her pains, and just as I knew deep down from the very first time I met her, she has grown, has overcome, and the essence that makes her the unique and loving individual that she truly is comes shining through as she faces her life with courage and determination. If I had to pick a favorite between her and her Sister, the so-called "Good Twin", I could not do so, for they are two sides to one wonderful coin that I carry in my heart with much love and pride. Their Mother, my Wife, sure does good work, if I may say so myself. They both have made a Father out of me, and for that I owe them so much.

Holly took this opportunity to start her own blog, which opens with a poetic tribute to her Uncle. Her natural talent with words only enhances the emotion her post delivers. Please go hit the link "RideIntoTheSun", and I think you will agree.

By his own request, there will not be a formal service for Conrad. He asked to be cremated, and for his ashes to be taken to Holly, Michigan, from whence the clan originated, and spread upon a lake there. His son Michael will carry out his wishes this spring. The wife will pay her own tribute in our Pagan fashion, wishing him a fine place at the great hall of Valhalla, where all true warriors go when their battles are over.

4 comments:

And the Past Recedes... said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, my thoughts are with you guys.

Buffalo said...

Well said, my friend. Very well said.

Time said...

Nice tribute, the Michael. Sorry to hear about the news.

Shellie said...

A *smile* for your wife. A beautiful tribute Michael.