Thursday, March 02, 2006

Zen and the art of list avoidance


I was reading Buffalo's post that described the excellent writing abilities and apparent educational prowess of many of our best bloggers. I was not on this list. Now, before you automatically assume I am complaining about this, you can stop assuming that right now. Most everybody he mentioned puts me to shame. I do not speak in the novella fashion that most of them do, and I rarely subscribe to the power words that send many people to the dictionary when they have the humility to admit they are not quite sure what "that" word actually means. My content leaves alot to be desired, as I report from a rather narrow and mundane world, inside looking out at an ever increasingly complex planet. There is nothing I could say about the world that others have not already said more succinctly, with more interesting graphic and pictorial support as well. However, I am not really bothered by this. YOU guys, or those that stumble upon my blog, might be, but it doesn't keep me awake at night. For one thing, anybody that keeps up with this blog knows well by now that it is written in "plain speak", with a little dash of flash to pry a smile from the reader. You do not visit me to learn the secrets of the universe, the inside scoop on pop culture, or a first look at something revolutionary and life changing. But, you never really leave empty, now do you?

When I joined the Navy, I did it right out of my senior year in high school due to the fact that one: the dozens of different schools in various states that I attended while growing up as a welfare kid all had differing graduate credit systems, and those credits didn't add up in the last school I attended as a senior, and two: I didn't have a home anymore with the breakup of my Mom and her "significant other". I ended up with a quick and dirty GED, which to this day implies I didn't REALLY graduate.

After I did my service to my country, I had the GI Bill, which would have made going to college a real possibility. However, I had it in my mind at that time that I was anything but college material, especially with my aversion to anything math related. So, I continued on in life content to pursue whatever blue collar opportunities presented themselves.

What I did NOT do, however, is stop learning. I have always been an avid reader, a great fan of science and tech shows on television, and have soaked up more knowledge about the world around me on my own than any institution could have, in a general fashion, that is. I know a little bit about everything, although I can not claim to know everything about any one thing in particular. And I am somewhat proud of my critical thinking skills, however twisted they might be.

Was I ever really college material? Well, I attended almost two years of community college in an ill-fated pursuit of a nursing degree, and was amazed at how utterly simple most of my classes were, sans algebra. I am proud to report that as far as grades went, I had it sussed! Unfortunately, events transpired, of which I will not go into here, that required me to abandon school, but I did come out of the experience assured that I was fully capable of becoming formally "edumacated". And yes, folks, to this day I am convinced that aside from narrow facts and figures, I did not learn anything that I did not already have an understanding of gleaned by my own life's experiences and discoveries. Yes, I know that I am paying dearly in many ways by not having a certificate of intellectual authenticity issued by the powers that be, but in the grand scheme of things, my brain is functioning just fine without it. Things could be worse. I could have the thought processes of a republican.

So, did I belong on that list? I dare say not. All if not most of them walked a more formal, in- depth path than I did to arrive where they are, and I am sure they paid some dues on the way. The list I do belong on probably has one name on it.
Being on that list does not make me special or lesser as compared to the people on that other list, but I take pride in being on it regardless.

Besides, being on that list would have ruined any chance of Madness, Musings, and Melancholy being the truly unique creation that it is. Imagine what all those big fancy words and eloquent sentence structures would have done to the poor thing..........

6 comments:

Time said...

I don't know anything about the list you weren't on, but you will always be on my list. And you are very likely on the Homeland Security's list of subversives. So just keep on doing what you are doing.

Paul said...

I learned the methane series in college -- methane, ethane, propane, blah, blah, blah -- all the way to octane, nonane and decane. Yes, I find that knowledge useful every day.

The person on the top of my respect list is my father - 8th grade education.

You made my respect list but, sorry, the top spot is alreay filled.

Formal education is greatly overrated. My definition of an educated person is one who reads well, reasons well, expresses him/herself well and has a love for learning. Sounds to me like you're educated.

Bush, on the other hand, is a dumb ass. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that. That sounds offensive to asses, burrows, donkeys, mules and related animals. I didn't mean to offend them by association.

darlingina said...

You should be very proud of Yourself Sir Michael. You brought me here and i thank you. i just wish that i could open up and write/blog as well as You and so many others. i'm way too critical of myself and stuggle with what to say or how to say it.

You'll always be at the top of my list and your critical thinking skills are A#1.... expecially the TWISTED ones. ;o)
Love & Hugs,
~gina~

Buffalo said...

A formal education helps provide you with the ability to know what questions to ask. It is a tour book to exciting places you might otherwise miss.

Education doesn't cause someone to be a better person. It doesn't make them a better writer or communicator. It merely makes them more knowledgeable.

I suspect that both your life and mine would have turned out much differently had we attended a good college. Maybe not better, but differently. Knowledge is the one thing that can't be taken from you.

Time said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gaye said...

Book sense/common sense... I'll take the latter. However I am a strong advocate of education; there's just nothing more irritating than an educated dumbass...