Friday, March 17, 2006

Leaves, leaves, and more leaves.......

It was another pleasant day at Pendragon Hold. The weather was perfect. We went to Lowes to pick up the first box of vinyl tiles, but upon examination and pricing of all the prep stuff you have to lay down over this base floor before you lay down the tiles, it occurred to us that we would end up paying the same if not more for the tiles than if we just went with the cheapest laminate wood flooring. This stuff just snaps together seamlessly and requires only a padded underlay at the most. So, we decided to go with the wood flooring, and got a box for only 96 (dammit, were IS that damn cent key?!?) per square foot. The big risk we are taking is that this particular color of wood will run out before we purchase enough to cover the floor, but we are just keeping our fingers crossed that if that does happen, we will be able to find a close enough match that it won't be all that noticeable. Pity we can't afford to buy it all at once.

Yesterday I dragged out the shredder and began the process of converting all these humongous piles of leaves into mulch and compost. I took the deflector off and am letting the shredded material blow into the vegetable garden area, which via the wonderful process of gravity versus weight and velocity, throws the lighter and dryer material suitable for mulch further than the moister, denser material suitable as compost soil. It's been awhile since I've done this, so last night my sore muscles were raising hell with me for bringing them out of retirement. YOU shovel pitchforks full of leaves into a shredder chute for hours on end and tell me it isn't one hell of an upper body workout! They might as well buck up and deal with it, cause I only have something like fifteen piles to go......big piles.

Well, I work the weekend, but since the wife is still on vacation for the next two days, I get the car all to myself, without having to play auto-roulette with her. She's been keeping herself busy with her Wiccan crafts and work out in the shade garden. Tomorrow is her birthday. I ordered her a nice pendant she's been lusting after, and made her a card on the computer. I would have rather taken her to a nice spa or maybe a visit to Marine land, but that's for people with money. All we have are each other. When all is said and done, I'll take each other any day.

4 comments:

Time said...

Tell your wife Happy Birthday!

Alex Pendragon said...

Relax, cherish, I'm having to reinsert my links since I switched templates....damn them. It will take me awhile, but I'll get them all in there. I'm working on the next edisode and hopefully the best when I have time, so hang in there.

She says happy birthday to you too, Tim...

And the Past Recedes... said...

Nice new look to the blog. It is a different color, isn't it? I could have sworn it was green...

Anyway yea, happiness over money any day!

darlingina said...

Been there and done that with the wood flooring. Only thing is when we did it they didn't have the snap together kind yet. It was the real wood slats and had to be glued and all that crap...it was a total BITCH to install. i would not wish it upon anyone. And bless Your lil pea picking heart for doing all that raking. Bet that hot bath felt great after a hard days work outside. Which great photo by the way. Looks like it was a beautiful day. And i'm sure you made your wifes Birthday ver special and memorable too! Take care Sir. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
~gina~