Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Cafe Aftermath

I've been living by myself these days
since the war took half my face
the small town that I live in now
is a quiet, peaceful place
There's a diner that I frequent
when I just don't care to cook
the kind folks there are used to me
and not afraid to look
I had a girl, and friends, and such
and I joined the National Guard
life was all American
and life was not that hard
Then I suddenly lost everything
when they sent me off to war
I lost my looks, then lost my girl
what did I lose it for?
Now I'm happy just to be alive
tho I'm not sure really why
I live here in a lonely world
I'm just waiting here to die
But today I head on down the road
to the diner for some lunch
but the waitress that I knew so well
used to make me laugh so much
has been replaced by someone new
but she doesn't seem to stare
she just asks me what I want to eat
"try the burger if you dare."
so I try to look her in the eyes
something hard for me to do
cause I know what they are looking at
and the pity's nothing new
so I keep my head down out of sight
and I tell her what I want
then she freshens up my coffee
and I pay for what I bought
well, this goes on for several days
and I eat there more and more
cause she acts so easily with me
like her heart had once been torn
then we start our conversations
seems we both have had our pain
I tell her that I'm Billy
She tells me she is Jane
now it seems I;m getting used to her
just like she is with me
but you know that where the heart's involved
nothing's ever free
So then one night when it's getting late
she does not let me leave
she closes down the joint
God, I could hear myself breath
she sits down next to me
and stares me in the eye
if there's some reason not to like me
then I want to know why
if scars could convey shock
then shocked I must have appeared
I liked her well enough
as best I could thru fear
well, she said, I like you fine too
and tho you might not think so
you're the finest man I ever knew
you're funny, you're smart
despite all you've been thru
never have I seen you bitter
never have I seen your blue
you treat me like a woman
and not a piece of meat
from what I've known of men
I find that kinda neat
So if I have to ask I will
tired of waiting that I am
could you stand my company
for one good evening
and a home cooked meal?
It takes some effort to smile
and I really have no charm
but something brightened up my face
it couldn't do no harm
so I stood and offered her my arm
and then without a word
we both ventured into the night
to try out a brand new world
My God that girl could cook
and her place was not half bad
a bottle of wine or two
and we both were tipsy a tad
so she pulls me to her bed
and I'm working on her clothes
both working more on feelings
both our eyes half closed
then I come across the foam
that fills one half her brassier
then I find the plastic leg
wondering how that got there
one breast, one leg
you never would have guessed
but what she had was plenty enough
to know I'd been blessed
She loved me fully that night
and then she gave me more
I could have left that morning
If I'd made it to the door
two starving human beings
had finally got their fill
just cause some bitch got fired
from that cafe on the hill
we each gave each other
what our lives had taken away
and now I get to live my life
each and every day

2 comments:

mysterygirl! said...

Wow. That's serious.

Naughti Biscotti said...

Michael, did you write this??? I'm assuming you did. This is DAMN good.
WOW!!!!