Friday, August 05, 2005

Magic




The wife and I settled on one two-player playstation video game that we both like. It's called Twisted Metal BLACK. And yes, it is one twisted game! You drive around tricked up vehicles designed to do one thing only....KILL anything that moves. Even though we have won all all the levels, we still enjoy playing it when there's nothing else to do.

Then, we decide one night to drag out a card/board game we used to play a few years back. Ever play Magic: The Gathering?
None of this eye-hand coordination crap; this game makes you think, and is no where near as frantic. Of course, my wife has put together a deck that kicks my figurative ass something like 5 times in a row before I wise up and realize I have a pathetic deck to play with. I try another combination, and ahhhhhh.....sweet victory. Now all I have to do is win again to prove it wasn't just dumb luck.



Games are very much like the family meal. They are an opportunity to share each others' company. Many of us eat our meals on our coffee tables in front of the television, but there's something to be said about having company or family over to gather around the actual dining table to share a meal and visit with each other instead of some distraction. Board games let you go at your own pace, poking fun at each other, doing your little victory dances, whatever, those fun things you just don't get to enjoy when you are enslaved to the game pad of a video game. Modern technology is a wonderful thing, but it can have a chilling effect on how we interact with each other. Try a board game tonight at the dinner table. You might meet someone you haven't seen in awhile......a loved one.

3 comments:

Buffalo said...

Checkers anyone?

Gaye said...

Oh, Oh, I'm good at checkers--of course I'll cheat in a New York Minute if you get distracted--but I'm still really good. Board games aren't my style--too many rules; video games--lack coordination; but checkers are just right!!!

Alex Pendragon said...

Now, Gaye, if you were REALLY that good, why would your pride allow you to cheat? The only arena I could possibly consider cheating in would be taxes, but even then I've never had the guts to see if I could get away with it.....lol. I'm a good loser, cause I can easily sweat the small stuff.