Monday, August 08, 2005

The passing of an Era.......



It is with great sadness that I and my fellow news addicts were informed that yesterday, Peter Jennings of ABC news passed away after a short battle with lung cancer. This man kept me informed for more than 20 years, and he did it better than anyone I knew despite the fact he hadn't even graduated from high school and wasn't even an American. Never had he betrayed my trust in his reporting; I knew that anything he passed onto us was as close to the truth and accurate as humanely possible. Like any good reporter, he had placed himself at the source of the news, in harms way, and he allowed himself to feel what he was seeing. He was strong, and resolute, but you always knew he was never above it all. If I could have lived my life with half the purpose and humility that this man did, I would truly be able to state with no hesitation that I had indeed lived!
We hear all the time about the "liberal media" and how the news is slanted to give more credibility to some left-wing agenda. I answer that assertion, at least at it applies to Peter, with a loud and unequivocal BULLSHIT! Peter reported it like it was, and if some Republican right-wing fundamentalist came across looking somewhat tarnished, then so be it. He had no agenda other than reporting the news, the way it happened, and I never witnessed him trying to spin the news to make anyone look worse than they already did, or even better than they deserved to be seen. Facts are facts, and that's what Peter gave us.
I have precious few heroes in this world, very few human beings that I place upon some pedestal and wish to emulate. If I had the nads to be a reporter, I would hope to have half the professionalism, thirst for knowledge, and character that I grew so comfortable with that World News Tonight became an addiction to me.

Peter, if you could send us back an interview with God himself, I have no doubt you would, without one ounce of spin on it.

1 comment:

mysterygirl! said...

Peter Jennings was awesome. I'm really sad that cancer got him... it seems to get everyone eventually...

(and now you are rightfully added to my blogroll...)