Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Cold dead fingers........


They will take away my right to defend myself from the violence that surrounds me in a society gone mad when they pry that mechanism from my cold, dead hands.

I am a human being, and as a human being, I am in reality not much more than an animal with a hyped up ability to be violent, and creatively so, thanks to my sentience. I can get angry, and that anger can be expressed violently if I do not maintain control. So, I am the only attempting to face life in a realistic fashion when I state that as long as civilians in this country have access, much less a right to, weapons designed to do just one thing, kill, then I will arm myself in such a fashion as not to be totally defenseless. So why in the same breath do I also say that the National Rifle Association is the real cancer eating this country from within?

I would not in the least object to the average citizen being denied a handgun. I would love to see hunters limited to owning one rifle designed specifically for hunting. If you honestly think you need an assault weapon with a thirty round clip to hunt deer, then you honestly can't call yourself a hunter. You are nothing but a trigger happy idiot who is out to blow something away, not engaging in the time honored give and take between hunter and prey, taking from nature to sustain yourself.

The problem with these viewpoints I express above is that America is far from a truly civilized society. From day one we have moved Westward from Plymouth Rock with guns in our hands, using them against the residents, the wildlife, and each other as we clawed and scrapped and claimed our individual chunks of the American dream. As hard as we worked to establish the rule of law, we worked equally hard to get what we wanted one way or another. Between two raw citizens on the streets of Laredo who knew damn well that justice was anything but blind, it usually boiled down to who was faster and more accurate with a pistol rather than who was right. That mentality lives with us today, on the meanstreets of everytown USA. Today the left wing elitists would have us believe that disarming every law abiding citizen would cure our murder rate, yet they can't explain how they'd keep these weapons out of the hands of criminals, who usually could care less about law in general. Since we have numerous weapons manufacturers churning out every kind of handgun imaginable, needing to push inventory, those guns get into SOMEone's hands one way or another. Law abiding citizens go to legitimate gun shops and purchase these things, sometimes having to register them or somehow be held accountable for their use. Felons simply go to the guy who buys them in bulk at gun shows to pass along to them for a healthy mark-up, no questions asked.
Now tell me, if someone finds their way into your home with nefarious purposes in mind, is officer friendly going to magically appear between you and this bad guy or guys and protect you? Of course not. They will respond to 911 and appear on the scene AFTER the damage has been done, which may include your murder. If you are on equal terms with this invader firepower wise, you have at least the home court advantage, and at least a good chance of surviving the encounter.

Well, you say, Canada doesn't have these problems. That's true, and there are plenty of reasons for this. For one thing, Canadians don't have this social sense of paranoia that we American's nurture so well. Canadians do not have a God given right to bear AK-47's or saturday night specials. Canadians in general do not even have a need to lock their doors at night. Canadians do not have a gun lobby insuring that criminals have every loophole imaginable in order to acquire their weaponry. This is not to say that Canada does not have crime. But compare the statistics and you can see that our violent crime is well fed.

Put the National Rifle Association out of it's misery. Arm the police and the military. Return weapons manufacturers to their rightful purpose, to provide the tools that law enforcement and the military need, not pour these tools of murder and mayhem out on the mean streets of America. Protect the rights of genuine hunters to own hunting rifles and shotguns. Then, and only then will I give up my humble little handgun. But I WILL keep a louisville slugger handy, and I'll still have the home court advantage.

8 comments:

morningstar said...

i am pretty ignorant when it comes to most politics and definitely to gun lobbyists Michael (by choice i might add) .... but i did think we had a gun lobbyist group up here.... i do know we have a gun control board.. something that cost us of millions of dollars to set up so that all good Canadians could and would register their guns.. see Mr Politician.. Mr Policeman .. i have a gun.. yeah right !!! now let's look at the guy who was convicted of a violent crime.. who was forbidden from owning any guns (when he got out of prison) but the courts decided it wasn't fair to deny him a hunting rifle!! So he had a rifle - i believe some big motherblankety blank blank - and he got angry one day.. and when the police came knocking he opened fire through his apartment door with this "hunting rifle" and shot a young policewoman - through her bullet proof vest - and killed her...

oh yeah.. we have guns.. we have gun control boards.. and i am pretty sure we have gun lobbyists... and i believe we have light sentences for criminals - in comparison with you folks in the states - and it makes me cringe. All of it...

Sir has a gun license and a gun.. i do not know why.... my grandfather had a license and a gun and i never knew why...

and children get killed playing with guns they found in their parent's bedrooms - for protection from the evil out there...

and police officers get killed by lunatics who should never have the right to a gun...

and on and on it goes...... there are days i want to find some island somewhere far away from the maddening crowd.. and live my life surrounded by my birds.. nature and peace and quiet...

and yeah .. in case you haven't figured it out yet.. i am a pacifist.. and a naturalist.. and i do hate violence.. all violence... power should not be about who carries the biggest stick.. but about who cares for and nutures the best.....

retreating to her quiet corner again...... and remembering she doesn't normally enter into touchy political type topics......

morningstar -

Time said...

Having grown up in Idaho, guns were pretty much a given. Fortunately, my father taught me the importance of never treating them as a toy and how to use them safely. I never got into hunting, but I do enjoy shooting inanimate objects. I think your observations on the issue are right on.

Paul said...

Yes, we have a problem. Yes, there is a solution. No, I don't know what the solution is.

Personally, I don't want a gun. I want to get my hands around the guy's neck who comes into my house -- and watch his eyes as he realizes he's made a mistake.

Buffalo said...

Damn, partner. You put me in the position of agreeing and disagreeing wich (sic) you. I think your heart is kind of, sort of, in the right place. I hope.

I own a variety of weapons. Although the numbers and variety aren't open to discussion, the word "weapons" is plural and is accurately used.

In my studied, and some would say ate up, opinion, I'm generally against gun control. I'm absolutely in favor of teaching gun safety in school - at at an early age with refresher courses. I don't have a problem with a felon owning a weapon after they have served all their time.

I disagree with your statement regarding the source of weapons that fall into the hands of felons. There are many other places of obtaining your weapon of choice - including burglaries.

I believe some of our forefathers stated that armed citizens are the only defence against tyrany. Big paraphrase of course.

Alex Pendragon said...

To morningstar I say this, sweet one, I wish as much as you do that mankind didn't have such a violent streak, that people could talk out their problems, that all of us could recognize just how fantastic life could be if we didn't spend so much energy finding things to hate about each other, and that people didn't feel this need to have power over others or to harm them simply for the thrill of it. When we watch our little boys slugging it out in the school yard, so we drag them aside immediately and begin an intensive empathy program to cool their jets? No. Now the parents are in the stands slugging it out. Man is not a nice creature, hun, and being a pacifist, although a laudable notion, can get you killed, and I do not think it makes you a lesser person for wanting to defend yourself and those you love should this evil turn your way. I personally live a life of avoidance, but should the day come I CAN'T avoid this evil, that evil will get as good as it gives, I promise you that.

darlingina said...

i am like morningstar, a naturalist and hate violence. i'm so glad that we don't own a gun. Tis one less thing that i have to worry about. And i must trust that when its my time to leave this earth, i will go. Love & Peace. Goes to join morningstar in the corner.
Hugs,
gina

morningstar said...

Michael:

In my heart i know what You say is right... i have fought many a battle to protect what is mine... not with guns but certainly in ways that didn't make me proud.. diminished my belief system i guess...

i teach what i believe ....and i try damn hard to live what i teach.. it isn't always easy.. but i keep on slugging through...

Peace starts with one kind word.. like a pebble thrown into the pond.. the ripples spreading outwards.... and yeah i know i won't see any significant change in my life time..... but i won't stop working towards it...

Religion .. language.. skin colour sex.. so many issues make enemies ... i will hold fast to my belief that there can be peace.... one day. Not in my life time.. not in my grandchild's life time.. but one day....... if i didn't believe it... i couldn't pull myself out of my bed in the morning and head off to do the job i do..... i couldn't :(

and yeah .. i have been told more than once i am a dreamer...

morningstar

And the Past Recedes... said...

Coming from a family of hunters I really had to think about this post. My father owns like 5 guns. None of them are the big bad blow 'em up kind. He just enjoys having different kinds to choose from as he is controlling the deer population here. It's all I've ever known-my family hunts. He is not a member of the NRA though, I don't think he gets into it the guns that much. Like Tim-Elvis I've learned that guns are not something to be taken lightly. If we even wanted to touch one of his guns, we were required to take the Hunters Education Course. I had to take it anyway in junior high as it was part of the curriculum, yes it's that much of a redneck area that I live in. But I have never picked a gun up. I have no desire really. Now, on the criminal side of it, no matter what laws are passed, no matter what is done to try to ban criminals from having guns, it's not going to stop them from having them. Aren't drugs illegal? Aren't they still very readily available? My point is that no matter what is done to prevent guns getting into the wrong hands it's not going to happen. I personally don't believe that guns should be taken away from people and I don't think that people should be limited to one gun. When you grow up around them, you learn that they aren't bad things, you just have to have some respect for them. And that's all I have to say about that.